Author Topic: Another Cold Pool and East Coast Low - June 14-17 2007  (Read 14146 times)

Jeff Brislane

Another Cold Pool and East Coast Low - June 14-17 2007
« on: 13 June 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Wow, Just when we thought the last East Coast Low last week was enough GFS is strongly suggesting another such event with the next cold front that's hitting Tasmania now. It's forcasting this next upper trough to leave another cold pool over N.S.W. again only this time it looks like it will trigger a surface low that will affect the East Coast from Sydney South, however there is still a chance the Hunter could get another heavy rain even within day's! This is unbelievable when you consider how bad the recent El-Nino was.

The BoM is keeping very tight lipped about the potential for more heavy rain and flooding as this stage but that's not unusual considering that they are not very good at informing the public anyway when it comes to severe weather. Take for instance the fact that GFS is suggesting over Thursday night the possiblity of up to 40cm of snow over the Alps, yet the BoM forcast is for only snow showers!

Anyway let's hope it stays south of the Hunter but at the same time i'd love it to hit Sydney and put more in the Dams.

Jeff.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2007, 04:11:51 AM by Jeff Brislane »

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
Re: Another Cold Pool and Possible ECL June 14-17 2007
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2007, 09:17:15 AM »
Hi Jeff,  GFS has been latching on this scenario for a several days only to downgrade the totals in the latest run (00z). Nevertheless, some solid falls 72-hour falls predicted atm. Let's hope this comes off! I also hope we can get some pea-shooter thunderstorms tomorrow with the cold mid-levels aroun Sydney.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2007, 12:06:48 PM »
Just checked the models GFS 00Z and it looks quite good. The storms and rain will move inland so I will not be surprised that waterspouts will occur - I am never able to get to the coast for these events unfortanately. Hail drifts are also likely with strong storms.

Of course the main talking point will be the storms and rain heading for the catchment.

To be honest, I never got the impression that the previous low cleared properly anyway. This to me always indicated something else was on the way.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 14 June 2007, 12:14:55 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2007, 02:11:20 PM »
Latest indicators are for more heavy rain in the lower Hunter by Friday so it could go either way atm. Tomorrow see's very cold 850mb air over the ranges all the way up to the Blue Mountains so a good chance of snow, especially with se winds. What a great setup! Does anyone remember when we last had a similar setup?

On a side note check out the snow falls at Mt. Baw Baw. They've had about 60mm so far of snowfall while the major resorts to the north have had next to nothing as far as I can tell. Probably a lot of wet snow though?

Jeff.

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2007, 03:04:55 AM »
Report in from a friend who has a property south of Orange that it is snowing at the moment and accumulating on the ground. He recorded -2 at 8:00am.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 03:12:16 AM by David Croan »
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2007, 04:38:28 AM »
Hi David and Jeff,

Jeff - got your message - battery needs recharging.

Paul Graham was meant to head up to the Central Tablelands today - hopefully he will post some pictures later.

There is the potential of some decent snowfalls today.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2007, 05:24:12 AM »
David,

Snow settling on the ground at around 900 metres I assume certainly once again raises the eyebrows to the following Bureau of Meteorology forecast:

Scattered snow showers on the Alps and possible morning sleet
about high ground in the Central Tablelands.

I am not into the concept of being negative towards the Bureau of Meteorology but I think perhaps either the lack of observations and reports or experience tends to downplay some of the predictions. (We will not discuss this here but perhaps in a separate thread).

Back to the cold pool and possible ECL.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 07:16:07 AM by Michael Bath »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2007, 07:24:38 AM »
Reports indicate heavy snow was falling at Mt Trickett around noon. Paul might head to Mt Gibraltar or Oberon...I'm not sure - I think he is more impressed by the potential for a very significant cold outbreak early next week!

Some photos of snow around the ACT region here. That photo of the house at Forbes Creek is a great winter scene!
http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1950825.htm
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
Paul is at Oberon where it is currently raining (no snow around). Meanwhile, there was a waterspout just off Bondi this afternoon >>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/waterspout-off-sydney/2007/06/14/1181414437227.html
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
Wow, that is some impressive snowfalls around Bungendore. The obs this morning at Baridwood were impressive and it looks like they had about an inch or more of snow as well. I guess the centre of the cold pool moved straight over that area.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 12:37:10 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

SnowMac

« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2007, 10:49:58 AM »
 :o Blizz had some great shots of the snow at  Mt Trickett today on WZ

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2007, 03:58:04 AM »
Looking at satellite imagery, one can see the upper level low pressure system creating a spiral over eastern NSW. According to the models GFS 12Z this morning, the progged cold pool was to be located over the western Hunter to northern Central Tablelands. I prefer this scenario than one of a developing low pressure system with cumulonimbus off the coast moving onto the coast. Such events are longer in duration. Low pressure systems seldom remain stationary over eastern NSW.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2007, 05:03:41 AM »
Yes that's some nice WV imagery Jimmy. 50-60 mm (24hours to 9am) recorded at various sites around the catchment which is excellent, should be some good runoff with the now moist soils and there should be some even more impressive totals by tomorrow morning.

Last night around 7:00pm, as I was parking, I thought I could see a CB developing above. As I was checking a parking sign it suddenly bucketed down and was enough to make me pretty wet in the short time it took to cross the road. While in the restaurant, some 5 minutes later, I saw what i thought was a camera flash out of the corner of my eye, although the canon that followed indicated that it was a close CG bolt. This was followed in quick succesion by about 5 further close bolts. On the way back home, the main road was closed due to a fire, which in the news this morning was reported to have been started by a CG strike. I was periodically awoken by further rumbles of thunder through the early morning hours. This is good winter stuff!

We might have to start a thread for next weeks potential cold outbreak - I'll be at Narrabri on Tuesday so should be an interesting flight in the Dash 8!
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Winds associated with low pressure now being revealed nicely on Newcastle radar. Lets hope for intensification through the early morning hours.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2007, 01:23:05 AM by David Croan »
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2007, 11:00:31 PM »
iwent to shooters hill on thurs arvo and was snowing well there with a bout 10 cm on the ground . video of it is here
http://media.smh.com.au/?rid=28998&sy=smh&source=smh.com.au%2Farticles%2F2007%2F06%2F14%2F1181414469819.html%3Ffrom%3Dtop5
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au