Author Topic: My best tornado alley pics  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
My best tornado alley pics
« on: 06 June 2007, 06:38:58 AM »
Hi all, been back home for 24hrs and a bit jet-lagged.  Here are my best shots from what was a very successful trip.  The first shot is of a post-tornadic cell which was south of the Greensburg wedge producer on 4th May.  The second shot is of early stages of the first tornado we saw on the 5th May.     This spun up very quickly and the storm produced at least one more touchdown later on.  The lightning shots are from a series of some of the most amazing lightning behaviour I have ever seen, taken on 18th May.

« Last Edit: 06 June 2007, 07:07:15 AM by Brad Hannon »
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Brad Hannon

• Stove pipe F3
Re: My best tornado alley pics
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2007, 06:43:31 AM »
The last four shots in this set are from the storm(s) of the season in my opinion taken near Hill City, Kansas.  The first cell took on a spaceship appearance as it dropped a persistent funnel (which may have been reported to touchdown).  Then the southern cell took off and treated us to an awe-inspiring performance capped off with a tornado.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2007, 07:08:40 AM by Brad Hannon »
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Brad Hannon

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2007, 06:45:18 AM »
A tornado under some of the most beautiful structure near Hill City, Kansas.  The video and timelapse of this day should be very very impressive.  The large HP structure is from a Texas storm the next day and should also provide some excellent timelapse!  Finally, a shot from the Greensburg wedge tornado aftermath.  Thanks goes to Macca for seeing to it that our group could enter the town and see the damage up close.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2007, 07:09:18 AM by Brad Hannon »
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Brad Hannon

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2007, 06:47:00 AM »
Some more shots of the Greensburg damage. This was truly an amazing sight to see and a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the aftermath of a violent wedge tornado.  The other images are of our final chase day in the Oklahoma panhandle complete with a HP, contrast and tornado.  Also notice the lightning-initiated smoke inflow into the storm!
« Last Edit: 06 June 2007, 06:53:22 AM by Brad Hannon »
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Brad Hannon

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2007, 06:49:43 AM »
And one last shot.  This was taken on my last night in Dallas after Jimmy had left for Australia.  Severe storms had bowed out and were heading direct for DFW however they weakened as they approached.  I was treated to a lightning show including some average crawlers and this absolute beauty of a CG which was very loud as you would expect.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2007, 10:54:11 AM »
Just magificent photographs.  Fantastic lightning shots  Welcome back and truly well done! 

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14