Author Topic: Tornado and supercell events  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Tornado and supercell events
« on: 14 March 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
I just had to post this topic re tornadoes as a result of viewing Brad Hannon's 2005/06 DVDs.

As I'm endevouring to go over to Oklahoma in 2008 to chase i just wanted to keep the momentum going with regard to what to expect (if) when supercells are active in the vast area of the plains.

From the footage I have seen this is something that someone like myself and others who have not experienced such events i know would like to get some insight of the power of these storms.  The lightning, the structure, the size.  First hand experiences and what you saw as far as weather patterns is what I'm after.

2008 will be my time to view such things and I'd really like to get some feedback on the storms that you all viewed from a personal point of view, the feeling you all got when you encountered these storms in the viewfinder of your video and camera lens.

Some other forum members have also been to the US so their input would be much appreciated - I'd like some feedback on your observations so I can take them to the US in 2008 hopefully and share them.

MIke

« Last Edit: 15 March 2007, 04:41:43 AM by Mike »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Tornado and supercell events
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2007, 12:28:43 PM »
First and foremost,

Mike - supercells are a plenty in the United States given the shear, moisture and instability profiles that exist. The judgement there as to a favourable season is based on the level of tornadic activity. Once the conditions become ideal, I think you can guarantee a good dose of supercells during the months of March April especially May and June. It begins to ease of in July and August and mainly can be expected in the northern states during this period. In some years but not as reliable but still can be lethal is the second season during October and November mostly across the southern states.

If you are heading to the US with an expectation - forget it. I guess the dream is to see the tornado and excellent structure. The best I can advise is to look at past events as well as comprehensive reports I have written in Storm News during the May - June period since 2001.

One thing is for certain - it does not matter where you have been in this country. Storms here simply are a far cry from what is observed in Tornado Alley. You want structure, supercells, lightning, heavy rain violent giant hailstones - it occurs at higher frequency. Scary if you lived there imo.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Tornado and supercell events
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2007, 03:36:34 PM »
Thanks for that Jimmy.  Certainly the 2006 season DVD i viewed was lacking in tornadoes but jeepers the storms were certainly impressive.  My expectations are this: I'll get what is on offer!

As you commented the storms are just on another planet from what we see here so that in itself would be worth the money visiting.  I'm a huge fan of nighttime lightning and I'm fairly confident of getting some fantastic photos and video of it.  I know either way I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly - I will have to buy several memory cards and batteries for the camera me thinks!

My plans thus far are for a May visit - I've only got a window of three or four weeks leave wise, but even my friend in Oklahoma suggested May/June also - he should know, he lives there!!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14