Author Topic: Storm competition anyone?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Storm competition anyone?
« on: 01 March 2007, 03:21:03 PM »
I had a thought just now re some sort of competition that could be valid Australia wide for forum members. Here's my idea that perhaps Jimmy could approve of and those who initiated the forum from concept....

The prize would be a framed photograph A3 or larger from a photo chosen by the senior members of the forum from their own collection (and shown on the forum what photo it would be that could grace their loungeroom)  It could be a great Stattaco strike, a tornado, awesome supercell cloud or whatever.

The competition could be something in the order of the most popular topic started by someone on the forum.  It could be the best storm chase story, best photograph or best answer to a question, most popular new topic posted and could run for a time period nominated by the senior members. The senior forum members would review the topics given votes.

Members could give a vote out of 10 to the particular topic they think is worthy of a vote and at the end of the voting period the points could be tallied up.  Votes could be given somehow to the chosen topic via a separate link which could store the votes and and somehow only the running tally can only be viewed by the authorising members so no-one will know who's in the running. The topics on the forum are given percentage values now anyway right?  When the timeframe for votes has elapsed then the winner could be announced!!!

The topic could be specifically related to just one thing or it could be just any topic that received the most 'hits' during the competition timeframe period.  But it would have to be something that everyone on the forum could add/relate to - no point posting a topic for competition reasons re 'central NSW storms' if 3/4 of us don't live there!

I personally think it's a great idea and hope other members can come up with some ideas as to how we can get something going topic wise!!!!  I think it would be a fantastic way to encourage new members to give input if they've been shy or perplexed with technical jargon and were too afraid to post a reply or there may be a subject that gets hammered with replies.

This is the proposal - now is everyone willing to take it on a win a great photo??? :)

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Storm competition anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
Hi Mike,

Ideally, your concept is awesome. I have observed quite a few competitions over the years and on the surface it seems to go ok. After all, a person can feel they have achieved something. In reality I and others have observed quite a few problems.

The main concept of this forum was to allow anyone to express their opinion and post their pictures whether they are professional to those that are point and shoot. Being a weather website, the theme is not photography despite the requirements of photography to capture what we witness. It doesn't matter really if the photograph was not exposed correctly or the colours were not correct - if there is a wall cloud and it is clearly observed, I am pretty sure it would grab people's attention. The same goes to video, the subject is what I and hopefully others are interested in. Once we make a competition, it destroys the whole meaning behind why we storm chase. Don't get me wrong though, keep the pictures coming as I enjoy observing what others have witnessed.

Thank you for your interest in this concept but I personally would rather let this idea ago.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2007, 05:25:14 PM »
Barrel pointed to head....Nah, that's quite okay Jimmy.  it was just a fleeting thought that crossed my mind as i was posting some stuff.  Go ahead and delete the topic - I'll still sleep at night!

Fully in agreeance with you re the photos - some of mine are shockers!  I'm absolutely more than happy to let it fly into the tropopause.  Not feeling at all stepped on! :)

StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
Each person takes photographs to record as close as they can the reality of what they saw. Some have more time than others - some are more artistic than others. I just like seeing people enjoy others' pictures as they are not having to try to hard to impress or spend excess time or having to buy different software packages or cameras to keep up with the Jones's. Best keep it simple and enjoy - that's motto and stretch our minds and imagination further in this complex puzzle we call the weather.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2007, 05:16:48 AM »
Absolutely, there was no malice intended re anyone about anything - it's obvious that the forum is about expanding the world of weather and i've certainly been exposed to a wide ranging educational experience from being a forum member.  Like i said, it was just an idea and that's all it was - anyway enough said on the subject otherwise it'll end up in a heated argument about something that really isn't worth getting excited about!

There's storms to be chased and having posts written!

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2007, 04:04:47 PM »
Hi Mike,

I wasn't having a go at you at any stage. My response was more in general for others to know the reasoning why:) It's all a  ok.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com