Author Topic: Eastern NSW Storms including Canberra severe hailstorm - 24 Feb - 1 Mar 2007  (Read 57317 times)

Jeff Brislane

Dave,

That cell is sensational! That developed ahead of the stuff that came off the mountains and was quickly swallowed up by it as they collided. Now I wish I had headed straight down the Northern Road instead of taking a detour to core punch the mountains cell.

Jeff.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Good one Jeff!  Nothing like hindsight eh!?  But we can't be everywhere at the same time!  Really impressive greening - must have packed some punch as the poor sole who got hit found out - let's hope he recovers quickly with no permanent injuries.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Hi,

Firstly welcome to the forum Mario - your first post. That storm you posted was quite interesting given it did a sharp right move and off the coast. I am glad you captured it with the mammatus.

Jeff and Dave, the storms occurred earlier were structurally interesting. I was talking to Nick Moir this afternoon and it seems the storms may have crossed a boundary creating the interaction as illustrated in the pictures.

Fantastic - what a week!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
Thanks Jeff
         dang we weren't that far apart :)

The first couple of pics also show the cell whilst is was inflow dominant.  That whole base was rotating and
cloud was forming and moving up into the base.   By the time it hit Campbelltown, I suspect that situation
had changed.
   I did do some video of the base at that earlier stage, maybe you may get the chance to see it at the next
social nite :)   its a bit big to post (original 2.25 minute .avi file is 149Mb and after compression still around
 50-60 meg)

cheers
Dave N

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
Hey there Mario, did you get anymore pics of the storm?  The one you posted was pretty neat.  Got anymore?

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
Gosh,,,,,, more top pictures than you can poke a stick at in this thread -- brilliant stuff everyone!
Dave, I was streaming am radio on my computer today while writing a report. People were calling in from around Campbelltown saying they were terrified and that the storm clouds were green / aqua blue!! It must have been quite a sight and your photos show an interesting structure there!

I went up to the carpark roof at work as soon as I noticed (on sydney radar) that a storm exploded just west of Nth Ryde. The storm developed a nice base for a short while before dumping precip. Lightning was savage....thick bright CG bolts and FM static - have not heard that for a while  ;D
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Ben

• Multi-vortex F1
Great photos there Dave!!! Lovely greenage and some very nice structure there. Mario - great photo of that N Beaches storm. I happened to be right in the core of that.. 35mm in 15 mins, 2cm hail, 100km/h winds and flangs galore. Before it approached looked extremely black to the north, so I went off for a drive and tried to find a good view, but before I could it was over me. Popped outside, grabbed a few piccies of the guster overhead (rather green), and then headed back.. couldn't see a thing, visibility was around 10m, so was desperately looking to find the turnoff to my home when it began hailing. Certainly the most intense storm I have seen in Sydney for some time. Lovely rainbow over the sea and nice booms after the storm left.

Quite a few trees down, water was covering roads and pathways, lots of debris lying around, and the storm took the power out for 2 hours. Unfortunately since I was driving not many photos.. will try upload the ones I did take tomorrow. Was interesting before the storm hit, a guster/inflow band thing was lying offshore attatched to the storm.

Mario Orazem

no more pics of that storm mike....  sorry.  Sure was a ripper ben!

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
We had a decent storm yesterday in Coffs. At first I tried to intercept a storm near Karangi but it was moving to my north quickly and decided to head home and check the radar again as I thought some storms might get going down towards the Bellingen area.

Karangi storm from home then from a position at Karangi:

The radar revealed that this was indeed the case with some storms developing a squall line to my south west. I headed down to Sawtell headland which had a great view the storm as it crept towards me.

As it got really close I thought I could make out rotation but I'm not sure as I don't have much experience in chasing storms. There was a definite  rolling of the gustfront but there was also horizontal rotation in the clouds to the south of the guster. I made a timelapse of this but I don't know where to upload avi files?

Guster:

Area that seemd to rotate:

Kane.

Despite the major greenage I encountrd no hail. I did encounter some flash flooding.

striker92

Hey guys
It has certainly been a very interesting week....
Nothing much where i live... again!
hehe cant win them all but to the south and north there were some very interesting echos on the radar, we had some very close CGs while i was still in school. Im sure some of you old timers can remember what happens when that occurs.Then again i cant be sure.
Basically the teachers were driven to the point of insanity while classes screamed and ran around like it was the end of the world.
Ahhh the value of a good lightning strike is never to be underestimated.
Cheers for now
Mark

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
A long lived cell which developed southeast of Glen Innes about 4pm Wed 28th Feb managed to track NNE all the way to just south of Lismore by 11pm. Structure on radar is interesting once it was near and north of Grafton.

I was in Ballina for a family commitment so was only able to see the storm from a distance, but it had high tops and was quite impressive.

These first two pics were taken shortly after 7pm looking towards the southwest.

Rodney arrived just before 8pm for the riverfront show.  The storm looked quite strong, although some mid level cloud got in the way at times. The scene was quite bright due to moonlight.

Nearly all the lightning we observed was updraft type lightning, with only a few CGs seen.

We moved to near Woodburn but the lightning activity soon died off. A shelf cloud type structure was apparent though.

Regards, Michael
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

striker92

That's an amazing storm
One of the most structured i have seen on this site, it reminds me of a Storm i saw in mudgee that turned severe back in 2000 when i was 8 =)
nice mammatus on the edges but funnily enough not a very pronounced anvil.....
not the kind I'm used to anyway, you will usually see a large broad flat and wispy anvil gradually thickening until it backs into the storm judging by the pics it did develop but

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
Nice pics there Michael.  Beaut colours with the moonlight - and a vapour trail off to the right from a gobsmacked pilot hightailing it out of range!  Nice lightning to boot as a bonus.

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
From Penrith to Campbelltown to the Northern rivers, the storms, reports and great contrasty photos have showcased some top efforts for all of us to enjoy. Here in Parramatta , the only severe piece of atmospherics was a cell that developed to the east around 2pm yesterday that spat out a volley of cg's, dumped a 5 minute downburst, headed to the cbd before linking up with a north easterly moisture infeed which produced a brief but photogenic inflow prong and and barrel updraft before petering out after a few minutes of glory. Cheers, Con.

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
You're not wrong Con. This patch of weather has been a blast from the past as far as I am concerned. It has been awesome seeing all the pics come out.

Tonight, while I was leaving work, Jimmy called and suggested there was a nice cell going up over the outer southwest. I drove home with it pretty much visible through my front windscreen the entire time - looked nice. It was persisting but seemed to be falling apart as I arrived home. After eating I poked my head out of the top window and it was surprisingly dark to the west. Without further ado I jumped in the car and took off.

I started filming around the Bunnings warehouse near Bankstown airport I think it was. Again, as has been a feature of the last few days, there were some vicious CGs.....lot of current in them.

Looking west near Bunnings you can see a lowered base and quite intense precip. Wicked bolts at times although you can see my view is obstructed even here - this was as good as it got!

Slightly different perspective with the road heading slightly north of west. Yes, I'm starting to think a supercell has been born ( I should add - I'm not saying that this storm had a mesocyclone....).

Around the eastern side of Moorebank now......there was clearly a big push of outflow from the north west but this wall cloud maintained (there was clear inflow) which really got me interested.

Ok, who was closer than me? I was not close enough to see motion but this did appear to be a funnel cloud. Whether this was a small scale vortex, or whether the wall cloud itself was spinning, I cant be sure (not that it was going to tornado!). I would not rule the latter out based on beahviour

On the Banks of the river at Moorebank/Liverpool. Missed some wicked Cgs while jockeying for a position in the urban sprawl. Luckily got something.

The storm, or at least this phase, weakened after this pic was taken. You can see a nice wallcloud....same one all that time. It was gone 10 minutes later.....and I had to get home. 

What a nice way the unwind after work! I know some of the other guys were on this storm for a longer period than I, so hopefully we'll see differing angles / proximity!
« Last Edit: 03 March 2007, 06:09:21 AM by David Croan »
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com