Author Topic: Flying ice crushes US homes  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Flying ice crushes US homes
« on: 12 March 2009, 04:24:34 PM »
I found this article just mind blowing, I never seen such a thing. I have posted the article straight from 9NSM, written by the Nine staff. It was posted about 1.00pm today.

{Spectacular footage has been captured of dozens of beachside properties being hit by large chunks of flying ice during a wild storm in the US.

PHOTOS: Ice invades homes

Gale force winds of up to 50km/h swept the ice from the sea and sent it crashing into homes around Bay County, Michigan, US media reported.

Local police said massive mountains of ice had smashed windows and penetrated close to 4m deep inside some homes.

Authorities have so far evacuated 36 homes since the ice started building up on the shorefront on Sunday.

Resident Tim Boutell told local media he and his wife had heard the screech of "metal on metal" as walls of ice pushed toward their home along the waterfront bay.

"At about 9pm my wife, Beth, heard some noise and I kind of disregarded it until she went downstairs to peek outside, and she obviously screamed.

"And then I looked out and saw the ice piled up and moving toward the house," Mr Boutell said. }

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Flying ice crushes US homes
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
I have heard about this phenomena though never observed pictures illustrating it's destruction. Someone at one of my first schools in 1995 came from the region near Lake Michigan. He described when strong northerly winds picked up so much swell that ice came on shore. I never associated though his comments with the damage it caused here.

All I can say is - WOW!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

cloudfairy

Re: Flying ice crushes US homes
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
and 50 km/h can do that? that is hard to believe for me.