Author Topic: US trip 2006 - 5th May massive classic tornadic supercell  (Read 61640 times)

australiasevereweather

Re: US trip 2006 - 5th May massive classic tornadic supercell
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2006, 12:34:13 AM »
Hi Andrej,

You have made some interesting points. Six tornadoes - I thought maximum there were perhaps 3. I say this because there were 3 confirmed tornadoes. I think at the time of the spectacular cloud structure during sunset was when the other tornado may have been occurring. Not sure if we would have made it or not but we also stopped for the dusty tornado which is the clearest picture of all even if non-mesocyclonic.

By the way, I edited some of the audio:)

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
Re: US trip 2006 - 5th May massive classic tornadic supercell
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2006, 01:03:29 PM »
Hi Dave,

<snip>
Waterspouts, landspout, coldies (as in tornadoes not cbs), mesocyclonic tornado, flanking line tornado  etc etc are all tornadoes, by definition. They are, potentially, distinguished, by the different dynamical processes from which they result. To that end, a landspout, as I noted above, is an example of what are termed non-mesocyclonic tornadoes -- tornadoes nonetheless. Remember this is taxonomy; attempting to best categorise a natural continuum -- hence it is subjective.

actually  that makes for the easiest understanding I have so far read   thanks   :)   I guess, when out chasing and observing these events,
we need to pay close attention to what is happening in the clouds above the funnel so that we can classify the "tornado" correctly.
ie ...land(water) spout  or classic tornado.

therefore .... using those guidelines .... was there enuf info available to correctly classify the Sydney 'tornado' of a couple of months ago ?
  was there an associated meso visible on any radar images ?

cheers
Dave N
« Last Edit: 15 October 2006, 01:11:35 PM by Dave Nelson »