Author Topic: Mystery Cloud  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
Mystery Cloud
« on: 05 December 2008, 07:37:55 AM »
Hi guys,
Can someone please tell me what this strange cloud is? I took this photo about two weeks ago in southern NSW. Apologies for the tree in the way.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Mystery Cloud
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2008, 08:27:31 AM »
That looks to me like a classic cloud with Hemholtz turbulence. Awesome! They are not common but seen from time to time particularly during hind wind shear events.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

cloudfairy

« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
wow, thats awesome. I've never seen them in reality, just in models or fluid experiments.

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2008, 09:46:16 AM »
It really caught my eye, but I couldn't find out anything about it as I had no idea what it was!

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2009, 01:12:43 AM »
Kristy

This is the first time I have looked at your photo and that is the best Cirrus Kelvin - Helmholtz cloud I have seen other than a picture shown in a textbook. They are very rare and I have only ever seen one of these. Well done for spotting it. After looking at your photo, I went searching in my weatherbooks for a description.

How they form:

I have gone to my book 'Weather" by Richard Whitaker (1997) to get a better description on this cloud.

It is a slender horizontal spiral of cloud but tends to dissipate only after a minute or two after forming and hence "rarely observed".

It is a kind of Cirrus cloud resulting from wind shear. Wind shear occurs when a layer of air slides across another layer moving at a different speed or in a different direction or both. This gives rise to vertical eddies that produce a pattern or air waves.

In most cases, wind shear creates a series of gently undulating cloud formations along the tops of the waves. With Kelvin Helmholtz formations, eddies are more powerful and carry the cloud over the peak and down the other side so that the waves break in the manner of ocean waves breaking as they approach the shore. As the waves complete a circulation, they create a distinctive corkscrew pattern.

The cloud was first described by Baron Kelvin (1824 - 1907) and Hermann Von Helmholtz (1821 - 1894) hence the name.

The presence of the cloud indicates a degree of wind shear that is likely to produce moderate to severe turbulence at cloud level. In the absence of cloud, the same process can be a major source of clear air turbulence at high levels (Weather, Richard Whitaker, 1997 (P214).

Hope this is of assistance to you.

Harley Pearman

cloudfairy

« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2009, 03:50:23 AM »
I'm not Kristy, but thank you very much for your explanation!!

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2009, 03:32:37 AM »
We have just completed our move to the Riverina so I have been offline for a while. Thank you Harley for taking the time to explain things, It's very much appreciated! The cloud did only last for about two minutes and then vanished really quickly, but it was so beautiful!

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2009, 12:00:06 PM »
Nice photo of a lenticular cloud on Astronomy Picture of the Day site today.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090121.html

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2009, 05:36:49 AM »
Easy to see how it got picture of the day, It's beautiful. It would have been breathtaking to see all of the colours changing.