Author Topic: Sydney waterspout footage  (Read 11243 times)

Jeff Brislane

Re: Sydney waterspout footage
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2006, 03:34:41 PM »
Harley,

We had a nice thunderstorm which produced copious amounts of small hail in western Sydney on August 3rd 2002. Check out my link here.

http://www.tempestlight.com/reports/2002/020803/

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2006, 06:31:05 AM »
Definitely, Steven,  steep lapse rates were in place. I think the key is what surface boundaries were present around the time of the tornado - our warm sector ( ;D ) was a balmy 11C!  From what I have read, low-topped ('mini') supercells generate (mesocyclonic) tornadoes in the same manner as their larger brothers - same thing happening at the small end of the scale. Base reflectivity scans look to be at best messy during the time of this tornado, and not suggestive of anything terribly organised, although, that's not to say not a mesocyclonic tornado was not possible. My oppinions only !
« Last Edit: 10 August 2006, 06:33:33 AM by David Croan »
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2006, 03:11:19 PM »

Further, I made an error yesterday:- It was the coldest day (11C) since the first Saturday in July 1997 which would have been around 6 July when it rerached 10.4C - another interesting feature of Friday. Harley

ohhh thats so warm,  what suburb are you in ?
  most mornings here in Ryde its been avg'ing ~ 6C   at ~ 0630 when taking the wife to work with a good few mornings colder than that
and the hint of frosts on the grass fields in the Nth Ryde Common
     brrrrrrrrrrrr   
cool but not as cold as the -12 to -15 C temps my parents are having back in southern New Zealand

Cheers
Dave

Daniel Swain

« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2006, 05:15:56 AM »
We in Northern California are accustomed to a fair share of severe thunderstorm activity during the cold season (especially December through April). Mini-supercells occur every year in the Central Valley of California, usually in a cold and unstable post frontal atmosphere or on the east side of a strong low pressure area (diffluence aloft; decent influx of moisture from the south). In the past decade there have been some memorable mesocyclonic and non-mesocyclonic tornadic events in CA, contrary to popular belief. The most recent...and best documented...event occurred in 2005 near the state capitol of Sacramento. Some of the tornados were very impressive but traversed mainly unpopulated agricultural areas, but a couple of them caused some damage near Natomas (F0-F1). John Monteverdi of San Francisco State University has done some interesting work on the elusive California tornado, and a summary is available at
< http://tornado.sfsu.edu/SacTornado/SacTornado.html >
South San Francisco, which had never had a tornado in recorded history, experienced a damaging F1 this winter similar (or even a little more robust) than the Sydney one in the video.
< http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/ssftor_pns.php >
Considering that many of California's cities average only one or two days per year on which thunder is audible (which barely counts, I say!), the number of tornados is rather suprising. Some have suggested a mini-Tornado Alley effect--that the gradually sloping terrain of the East Valley is somewhat similar to the Great Plains and therefore more conducive to large-scale forcing and condensation. There are certainly some parallels between the cold season convective activity in southeastern AU and the Pacific Coast of the US, though tunderstorms are generally much more prevalent in Sydney than San Francisco.
That is, in any case, quite the video. ;)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2006, 08:50:37 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngbWU1GuCfM

Video segment showing funnel cloud
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2006, 12:49:53 AM »
Hi, David,

That is a good find. This version was the one I described to you with condensation funnel. It was never showed again after the first time.

Awesome!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)