Author Topic: SA, VIC, NSW, QLD Storms Rain & Flooding 29 Nov - 6 Dec 2010  (Read 17063 times)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: SA, VIC, NSW, QLD Storms Rain & Flooding 29 Nov - 6 Dec 2010
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
Storm chase and flooding at Parkes 3 December 2010

Following a weather check at Dubbo Regional Library, I was satisfied that I had a chance of catching up with the storm complex that impacted Dubbo hours earlier. I drove south to Parkes and was able to catch up with the storm however I was not aware of the flooding situation that had occurred there. I drove south along the Newell Highway.

Approximately 25 km north of Parkes, I found myself close to the core of the storm system. I drove along the road that leads to the Radio Telescope and was able to drive underneath the lowered clouds that surrounded the thunderstorm core however my chase came to an end due to flooding on the road. Photo one shows the point where the chase had to end due to flooding. Flooding can be seen in the image.

After checking the water depth, I decided not to take the risk of driving through the flood because parts of the road had been scoured away and I was not sure how deep the water was and I was not sure of the stability of the road. I had to let the storm go south east. Driving into Parkes, I found myself driving across sheets of water over the road. Another thunderstorm occurred that dropped a heavy shower and some thunderclaps.

After refuelling, I left Parkes and traveled east. I made an attempt to chase the storm along the Orange / Parkes Road but I was stopped by a road block and a flooded road. I decided to try the Eugowra Road but was stopped by a swollen Goobong Creek. My storm chase for the day ended here due to impassible roads, floods and damaged roads. All I could do is watch the rising flood waters swell the creek.

The second and third photos show a flooded Goobong Creek. The yellow sign was disappearing under water indicating rising flood waters. The photos are taken not more than 10 minutes apart.

According to the Weekend Australian Newspaper (Dated 4 and 5 December) Page 4 under the heading "State of Emergency Declared across flood zone", it is stated that 130 mm of rain fell in 24 hours and it is stated that 10,000 residents of the town were isolated following the Friday storms. The Sydney Morning Herald (Weekend Edition) Page 4 under the heading "Towns Cut off as heavy rains Predicted into next week" has stated that 106 mm of rain fell in 5 hours at Parkes. The storm I closed in early Friday afternoon at Parkes appears to have been responsible for the flooding I saw.

I spent some time working out what to do and where to go and I eventually decided to take a detour out of town south east toward Canowindra via Military Road. Even this road was affected by flooding in places but it was traffickable. I spent the night at Canowindra before returning to Sydney Saturday.  

My photos are attached below.

Harley Pearman
« Last Edit: 06 December 2010, 03:51:31 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #16 on: 06 December 2010, 04:50:31 PM »
Hi,

Storm Chase Mudgee 5th December 2010

Just tried a chase to the Central Tablelands today. Obviously as Harley has alerted, I kept in mind that if the action developed further away, I would call it quits. The main cell I chase developed south of Mudgee and headed NW. Although not severe, it was shaping up quite well until other weak showers develop within the inflow source. Just a few pictures.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2010, 09:59:39 AM »
Photos of late Sydney rainstorm 4 December 2010

Upon my return to Sydney, a large rainstorm / storm cell built over parts of Western Sydney. Please find attached two photos of the cloud towers taken from Nor West Boulevard looking west around 5 pm 4/10/2010.

This may be the same cell that Jimmy photographed for his post. My photos are taken from another angle and includes the updraft towers.

Harley Pearman

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #18 on: 07 December 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Hi guys,

South Australia and particularly storms around the Ceduna radar have been rather interesting with a few supercells and splits taking place testerday (thanks Michael T):

http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR332-ceduna/2010-12-04-16/2010-12-06-11

Worth a look! Nice flying eagle from a split in the great Australian Bight!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 08 December 2010, 12:25:31 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #19 on: 07 December 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Certainly a nice radar loop that one though!

I am interested in what tomorrow will bring. GFS is forecasting quite high CAPE and strong shear which may lead to some more severe storms. I will be watching.

Michael
« Last Edit: 08 December 2010, 12:26:22 PM by Jimmy Deguara »